The Calgary Flames will likely get the first look — albeit, unofficial — at star-in-the-making Connor McDavid in NHL action.
The Flames will open their pre-season slate with Sept. 21 split-squad contests against the provincial rival Edmonton Oilers, who won the 2015 NHL DraftLOTTERY and will select McDavid with the first-overall selection next weekend.
McDavid will almost certainly be skating at Rexall Place in Edmonton that night, while the crew from Calgary will deploy most of their regulars at the Saddledome.
The Flames will play a total of eight tuneup tilts prior to the 2015-16 season. Their exhibition schedule also includes home and away dates against the Colorado Avalanche, the Vancouver Canucks and the Winnipeg Jets.
If you’re a superstitious sort, it’s worth noting the Flames played a nearly identical pre-season itinerary — plus a Kraft Hockeyville meeting with the Arizona Coyotes in Sylvan Lake — last fall before finally ending their six-year playoff drought.
The NHL’s regular-season schedule for the 2015-16 campaign will be announced sometime next week.
Flames’ pre-season schedule
- Sept. 21 vs. Edmonton Oilers, 7 p.m., Saddledome (split-squad)
- Sept. 21 at Edmonton Oilers, 7 p.m., Rexall Place (split-squad)
- Sept. 24 at Colorado Avalanche, 7 p.m., Pepsi Center
- Sept. 25 vs. Vancouver Canucks, 7 p.m., Saddledome
- Sept. 26 at Vancouver Canucks, 8 p.m. Rogers Arena
- Sept. 29 vs. Colorado Avalanche, 7 p.m., Saddledome
- Oct. 1 at Winnipeg Jets, 6 p.m., MTS Centre
- Oct. 3 vs. Winnipeg Jets, 7 p.m., Saddledome
* All times are MST